West Jersey Detecting

Last Updated February 22, 2018

Forums

Forum Home > Recent Metal Detecting Finds > Never Give Up On Your Old Detecting Sites!

Neil Schwartz
Site Owner

Many metal detecting enthusiasts are always looking for the next great site, but I am constantly looking back at old sites I have hit before.  It seems to be a strategy that has paid off, time and time again.  

Much of my limited detecting time last month was spent back at old sites, looking at them from different perspectives, trying different coils or different settings.  

One such site is a spot that I have been going back to for more than 5 years.  I know each nook and cranny, but as the old saying goes "no spot is ever hunted out"!

At first it was slow going, with only another small button and an Indian Head cent, but then a loud mid-range signal got my attention and I was very surprised to see silver shining through on what I knew was a War of 1812 Sheffield silver plated regiment button!  There were still good targets here!

All of a sudden I started digging buttons again, and one of my next targets was an infantry artillery unit button from the same era!  Now the momentum was starting to build and soon I was digging coins, including a Draped Bust Half Cent, my first old copper from the site in more than a year.  

The best find of the outing turned out to be a wax seal with the same letter "A" as the 1813 artillery button.  It is my understanding that this was a unit seal for sending important documents.

Never give up on your old sites!

April 6, 2012 at 10:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

263 views - 0 comments
233 views - 0 comments
255 views - 0 comments
249 views - 0 comments