West Jersey Detecting

Last Updated July 18, 2016

Forums

Forum Home > Recent Metal Detecting Finds > Early Settler's Homestead

Neil Schwartz
Site Owner

It's been a long, cold winter.  I finally had a few chances to get out and check out a new site that I suspect was the homestead of one of the area's earliest settlers, in the late 17th century.  I now have evidence to support this, finding a few "blow hole" buttons and other assorted goodies,  I was lucky enough to find a 1788 Vermont copper at the site, which is a rare Ryder 21 variety.  Other finds include a King George II halfpenny, an 1806 Half Cent, a small gold band (likely to be part of a wooden quill pen), a silver bracelet and other assorted goodies.  I have thorouly covered about 10 percent of the site so it should keep me busy for quite some time!  Follow me on Instagram as I post my finds live by clicking the link below!

.ig-b- { display: inline-block; } .ig-b- img { visibility: hidden; } .ig-b-:hover { background-} .ig-b-:active { background-} .ig-b-48 { width: 48px; height: 48px; background: url(//badges.instagram.com/static/images/ig-badge-sprite-48.png) no-repeat 0 0; } @media only screen and (-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio: 2), only screen and (min--moz-device-pixel-ratio: 2), only screen and (-o-min-device-pixel-ratio: 2 / 1), only screen and (min-device-pixel-ratio: 2), only screen and (min-resolution: 192dpi), only screen and (min-resolution: 2dppx) { .ig-b-48 { background-image: url(//badges.instagram.com/static/images/ig-badge-sprite-48@2x.png); background-size: 60px 178px; } } Instagram

March 18, 2014 at 3:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.