|Posted on June 27, 2013 at 10:40 PM||comments (0)|
I have seen a lot of posts and videos about digging techniques, but there hasn't been much discussion about using the proper digging tools. Round point garden shovels are fine for some situations but when detecting maintained parks & schools they are a no-no. I've watched experienced hunters try to dig a target and replace the plug, but it just becomes a big mess. The best tools are those that are designed specifically for digging a clean plug, such as Predator Tools, made by George Lesche. I use the Relic Pro (T) Model 80 and find it to be the best for these types of sites. I can dig with it and fill in the hole, and no one would ever know the site was detected. My second choice is the classic model 85 hand "knife" trowel. It does not make as clean a plug, but at sites where there are a lot of onlookers the Relic Pro looks a bit threatening and can raise a few eyebrows. It's important to the future of the hobby that we use the proper equipment and techniques so that sites look as good when we leave, as they did when we arrived.
|Posted on January 26, 2012 at 10:05 PM||comments (0)|
If you are like me, you hate down time while you are metal detecting. Even something as quick as a change of batteries can be a hassle. For this reason I always avoided bringing an extra coil with me in the past. I dreaded having to go though the whole process of loosening the bolts, reconnecting them on the new coil, and wrapping the cord up the shaft. Too much wasted time for me, so I picked the coil that was most likely to fit the type of detecting for the day and I stuck with it.
One day a few years back I realized that the rods were identical on my shiny new White's V3i and my old mothballed PRL1. I thought it would be a good idea to borrow the lower rod from my old detector and attach a 5.3 inch Eclipse "Bullseye" coil that I had recently purchased for the V3i. I took off the nut, slipped on the new coil and wrapped the coil up the stem. It fit comfortably in the backpack I carry. I was ready for action!
On my next outing, I had both coils ready to go. I detected for a while with my stock D2 coil until I ran into a trashy area. I swung the pack off my back and removed the lower rod assembly. I disconnected the coil connector, loosened the cam lock and removed the stock coil. Next, I inserted the new rod, tightened the cam lock, wrapped the remaining coil up to the connector, tightened the connection, and in about two minutes I was ready to go again! What a time saver!
Look for another tip coming soon!